Re: Set accidental style in the layout block

From: Bill Mooney
Subject: Re: Set accidental style in the layout block
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2011 18:46:13 +1200

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2011 18:16:44 +1200
From: Bill Mooney <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

You wrote...

It should do about the same thing. The main advantage is that it
avoids littering files with #(set-accidental-style ...). You put it in
only one spot.

As in the example below - based on the NM example... Where the
accidentals definition is in the \layout block, as in yours.
What I'm not clear about is why a different method has been used which
seems to involve more typing and doesn't seem to offer the variety that
the NM example does. - modern, modern-cautionary, modern-voice, etc.,
etc. ...

If you chose to change it there's only one place to
modify. I like to put it in a separate file (e.g. defs.ily) and
include it into all of the different lilypond files that generate
scores (e.g.,, etc.). If you're entering something
with only one line of music I think there's still an advantage in
being able to reuse previous definition files.

Here's an instrument+piano example for how I generally like to lay
projects out. I think it keeps each individual file tidy and avoid
duplicating settings in each staff.
* Put as many changes/tweaks from defaults as possible in the file
where you keep your main layout block file.
* Keep a separate outline to put bars, tempos, marks, etc.
* Keep music definitions in separate files from layout.

...and I agree with these principles - of keeping things well-ordered
and as simple and as flexible as possible.

\version "2.14.1"
title = "Accidentals"

musicA =
\relative c'