Re: ossia with signatures where needed

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: ossia with signatures where needed
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 18:00:50 +0200

On 3 August 2011 03:52, James Harkins <address@hidden> wrote:

> Is it possible to create an ossia staff context where clefs and time
> signatures are displayed only when the staff is visible?
>
> I'm following the model of the 3rd example under "Ossia staves" in the
> notation reference -- creating a staff named "ossia" and then using
> \context Staff="ossia" { \startStaff ... \stopStaff } where it should
> be visible. This is fine as long as I...
>
>      \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
>      \remove "Key_engraver"
>      \override Clef #'transparent = ##t
>
> But then, clefs, time signatures and keys will never be displayed.
> I have an ossia that crosses a couple of time signatures, and it looks
> funny that the time signatures are absent. But if I remove those lines
> from the ossia staff's \with block then I get a free-floating clef,
> time signature and key signature -- without staff lines -- above the
> "real" staff.
>
> I'm sure it must be possible -- it just eludes me in the documentation
> tonight.

You could use

  \context Staff = "ossia" \with {
    \override Clef #'stencil = ##f
    \override KeySignature #'stencil = ##f
    \override TimeSignature #'stencil = ##f
  } {
    \relative c' {
      c1
      \once \revert Staff.TimeSignature #'stencil
      \time 3/4
      c2.
      \once \revert Staff.TimeSignature #'stencil
      \time 2/4
      c2

instead of removing the engravers.
HTH.