Re: Whole measure rests in parentheses

From: Leszek Wroński
Subject: Re: Whole measure rests in parentheses
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 00:17:59 +0200

Dear Janek and Harm,

thank you both for very nice solutions! Both are working nicely, of course. Harm's method seems indeed very flexible and potentially very useful. Janek's solution has the advantage of allowing a newbie such as myself freedom of choice regarding the shape of the parentheses, or, I guess, any pair of characters to be put around the rest (I eventually went with square brackets).

Thanks very much to both of you again,

Leszek.

2011/8/6 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>
Hi Leszek,

2011/8/4 Leszek Wroński <address@hidden>:
> I'd like the input
> \parenthesize R1
> to produce a whole measure rest in parentheses.

The fact that it doesn't work is indeed interesting.
I don't know how to fix it right now, but there is a workaround:

{
 \once \override MultiMeasureRestText #'outside-staff-priority = ##f
 \once \override MultiMeasureRestText #'Y-offset = #0
 R1 -\markup "(  )"
}

you may turn this into a music function or something and it will be
quite convenient i think.

HTH,
Janek