Re: New LilyPond tutorial

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: New LilyPond tutorial
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 09:16:47 +0200

Am 24.08.2011 08:41, schrieb Ben Luo:
On 24/08/2011 08:00, Urs Liska wrote:
Hello list,

I have just put a new tutorial online. You can read it at
http://www.ursliska.de/73.0.html

Hi Urs,
Hi Ben,

Very nice article.
Thanks
What's the license?
Interesting question. I thought about this a little bit, but didn't find an answer.
  • I don't want anybody to modify the text, but I gladly incorporate useful enhancements, giving the respective credits.
  • I don't want anybody to "redistribute" it in any form without explicit consent.
  • I don't mind if anybody uses or modifies the source,
    -> That's what such tutorials are meant for
    but I don't want the sources redistributed either
  • An underlying problem is that the music used for the tutorial as under full copyright.
    I obtained the rights to use this example in my tutorial for use on my web site,
    but any further use is explicitely prohibited.
    Maybe I'd be better off using music in the public domain from the start.
    But a great deal of the music I come across is still under copyright.
If anybody of those who re more familiar with these licensing questions could give me a hint, I'd be glad.
Can I translate it to Chinese?
Yes, that would be nice.
A few remarks about it:
  • Please wait for the finished version:
    • I have a few things on my ToDo list, the main issue being adding many more references to the LilyPond documentation.
    • I want to wait if there is any that I can incorporate as improvements
  • What would be the intended use?
    If you plan to make this publicly available (which I assume, otherwise you wouldn't have to ask me, I think) - propably on a web site - I should ask the copyright owner (Universal Edition) first. Probably they will give their consent (without expecting royalties)
    Of course I'd expect a link to the original version.
  • Please contact me again before you start to do anything, because I can then provide you with material to make it easier to work with (text in OpenOffice/Word/PDF format, images, listings).
Best wishes
Urs

Best regards,

Ben Luo