Re: Lilypond lobbying?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Lilypond lobbying?
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 18:14:22 +0200

Am 25.08.2011 18:03, schrieb Joseph Wakeling:
On 08/25/2011 01:41 PM, Janek WarchoĊ‚ wrote:
Yes.  I hate to say it, but in the matter of tweaking slurs LilyPond
sucks really hard compared to Finale.
I don't think this is really a helpful way of looking at it, to be honest.

Lilypond is a _superb_ piece of software that has the widest support for
diverse musical notation of any program I've come across.  Its creators
have developed an extremely well-thought-out syntax for computer
representation of musical notation and meaning, and an extremely
powerful engine to transform that syntax into attractive output.

However, there's very often with software (or any tools) a tradeoff
between functionality and ease of use, and Lilypond's focus is very much
on the former.  What that means in practice is that Lilypond solves some
problems better than others.
What I would also like to stress here is that, while being not very straightforward and admittedly slower to tweak anything such as slurs, I find it extremely assuring that Lilypond allows me to retain full control over the tweaks. It is a very nice thing to be able to "undo" any manual intervention at any later time and independent of any other changes. And it may be useful to have these tweaks available in an explicit manner. For example I always feel uneasy with manual tweaks by dragging a mouse because I can't guarantee any coherence (for example in a graphics program).

Best
Urs