Re: Vowel with Umlaut

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: Vowel with Umlaut
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 22:23:07 -0700

"GRAEME F ST CLAIR" <address@hidden> writes:

Like I said - "simple" - the editor is Textpad under Windows 7, and it has an "encoding" save option of "UTF-8"... Job done, thank you. I had trouble with UTF encoding in an earlier little project (SQL & PHP), and ended up using raw data in ANSI, then mangling it as it went through. So I'd kind of ignored the option ever since.

Different projects (I mean SQL or others vs. Lilypond, not different projects in Lilypond itself) may respond better to a different choice of encodings. That's the main reason your editor has the options it has.

Always choose UTF-8 for Lilypond - for other types of projects, choose whatever works correctly for them. (Often, the authors of the software in question will have made recommendations on what is expected to work and/or not work with their files.)

In very general terms, it shouldn't be right to be "mangling" encodings by hand in *any* kind of project. It should be possible to find an encoding that does the job correctly the first time. That's what computers are for...

--
David