Re: \instrumentSwitch applies instrumentCueName to Staff context instead

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: \instrumentSwitch applies instrumentCueName to Staff context instead of Voice
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 21:23:35 +0000 (UTC)

Shevek <saul <at> saultobin.com> writes:

> \instrumentSwitch applies instrumentCueName to Staff context instead of
> Voice.
Is there a way to change this behavior so it only applies the instrumentCueName
to the Voice context? The current behavior makes multiple instrumentCueName
markings appear whenever there is simultaneous music on the Staff.

I don't know how to do that, but maybe instead just ask the Staff to engrave
the changes instead of each Voice :

\layout {
  \context {\Voice \remove "Instrument_switch_engraver" }
  \context {\Staff \consists "Instrument_switch_engraver" }
}

That seems to make sense, because all the other instrumentSwitch stuff,
like the clef and the short-name in front of each line, belongs to the Staff.

If that works for your needs, then maybe the default of having an
"Instrument_switch_engraver" in each Voice, instead of Staff,
was just a bug in the default setup provided by LilyPond.

For me, instrumentCueName is to confusing.  I just
 \mark\markup\smaller\bold"flute"