Re: positioning of \tempo in 2.15.20

From: James
Subject: Re: positioning of \tempo in 2.15.20
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 09:14:24 +0000

Hello,

On 3 December 2011 06:55, Paul Scott <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

2.15.20:

Should the positioning of \tempo over notes be different than over whole rests?

Just to answer that - sorry I forgot in my last email - in my experience 'it depends'. Being a Brass player I get a lot (a LOT!) of rests in many of the orchestral scores I play in, and it is not uncommon for the other members of the orchestra to have tempo instructions during those long rest passages that are not marked on my score.

It seems to depend on the composer/arranger. That is, if that particular part of the score is 'known' by the tempo rather than the title - i.e. if you have movements within the piece then it really does help to know (at least for me) that "Yes, we're now at the 'Vivace' section" if only as a sort of 'cue'.

They basically are used as additional rehearsal marks for many of my practices. " OK everybody, 12 bars after 'C' at the start of the 'Poco a Poco' section" where I am already 30 bars rest in with another 25 to go. :) Bar numbers don't help here.

Won't somebody think of the childr...err I mean Brass section?

James