Re: Slurs spanning music objects

From: Christopher R. Maden
Subject: Re: Slurs spanning music objects
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 11:26:24 -0500

On 12/05/2011 10:47 AM, Christopher R. Maden wrote:
> This obviously doesn’t work, but I’m not sure how to get the effect
> both in the laid out score and the \articulated MIDI.  What am I
> overlooking?

More experimentation shows that the problem is not in the use of
variables, but that the music objects are wrapped up in \relative.
(This surprises me; I would expect \relative to adjust pitches and leave
everything else alone.)

However, while I can get rid of \relative, I can’t get rid of the other
wrapping function, which creates two versions of every phrase for layout
and MIDI use (see <URL: http://crism.maden.org/swing.ly >):

tunePickUp = {
  \sw {
    \relative c' {
      \partial 4
      r8 b'(

tuneStrainOne = {
  \sw {
    \relative c' {
      a'4) a8 b a fs e d |

tuneLayout = {
  <<
    \new Staff <<
      \keepWithTag #'layout {
        \tunePickUp
        \repeat volta 2 {
          \tuneStrainOne

I’ll work around this for now, but if anyone has suggestions, I’d love
to hear them.

~Chris
“Be wary of great leaders.  Hope that there are many, many small
 leaders.” — Pete Seeger