Re: Spacing arount title

From: James
Subject: Re: Spacing arount title
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 23:41:45 +0000

Frank,

On 5 December 2011 21:51, Frank Steinmetzger <address@hidden> wrote:
Dear list

I’m writing myself a new Tenor sheet of Bach’s Weihnachtsoratorium, because my
old issue is falling apart. I’m setting it on A5, so I can print it 2up on A4.
Thus my goal is to fit it on 16 pages including title page. So far so good.

Because of the space constraint, I want to minimise waste of space (i.e. empty
areas). In an older version I managed to bring spacing around the titles to the
bare minimum. But I am wholly unable to reproduce it now. See the two attached
screenshots of what I mean (the read markings, HS=Header space). I blanked them
a bit to reduce filesize. The important thing is the location of staves and the
space arount the headers. In the old version I could fit two more staves onto
the page.

I added a zipped excerpt of my ly files with the first few pieces so you can
see my code. I think that’s way easier than scribbling a minimal example from
scratch just for this mail.

I’m using the subtitle to write down the part (Part I, Part II, etc.), and then
I use a fill line markup for the piece string, so I can put the current piece’s
name and that of the previously omitted ones into one single line to further
reduce space usage. I know it isn’t very pretty, maybe I’ll change it yet.

Anyway, long story short:
can you think of how I got the header to squeeze down like I did in wo-old.png?

LilyPond 2.14+ had it's spacing commands improved (although you might not at first think so) tremendously.

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/vertical-spacing

Specifically

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/flexible-vertical-spacing-within-systems

You don't show what your current LP \paper spacing configurations are (if you even have any in your .ly file) so it's hard to say what your values are going to be but I think once you get over the initial change between 2.12 and 2.14+, you'll be much more satisfied with the amount of control you will now have.

James

James