Re: Where to put user ly files on OSX?

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Where to put user ly files on OSX?
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 10:02:13 +0100

On 7 Dec 2011, at 02:58, huzzam wrote:

> I'm fairly new to lilypond, and am starting to write my own ly files to
> include. I want to put them somewhere that will be accessible easily from
> any score (user defaults). The only place I've so far been able to find to
> put them is inside the lilypond application package itself
> (/Applications/Lilypond.app/Contents/Resources/share/lilypond/current/ly).
> This obviously is annoying when I upgrade lilypond, as I have to dig in
> there and copy my files to the new one.
>
> Is there some place I can put them so that I can still just "\include
> asdf.ly" (without a path), but which is not inside the package itself?
> Something along the lines of ~/Library/lilypond or /usr/share/lilypond?

Your personal files should always be in your home catalog. You can work from
any directory, but if you so like make a directory where you want, for example:
 ~/LilyPond/  ~/Music/LilyPond  ~/Documents/LilyPond/
Not in ~/Library/, because that is for application support, and is even hidden
in OS X 10.7.

As for running lilypond from Terminal (it was not clear that this is what you
wanted), make a script named lilypond, and put it in ~/bin or /usr/local/bin/:
  exec /Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/lilypond "$@"

Hans