Re: Segmentation Fault (Midi News Flash)

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Segmentation Fault (Midi News Flash)
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 00:23:23 +0000

On 12/7/11 5:05 PM, "Craig" <address@hidden> wrote:

>On Wed, 2011-12-07 at 23:52 +0000, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>> If you come to the list with very little information and no code
>> available, and ask us what's wrong, we can't possibly tell you.  We
>> don't
>> have any idea.
>
>This is the main issue with reporting such bugs with lilypond.  Let's
>say I start reducing this problematic file, I reduce the project down to
>a single file, and then the bug goes away.  I spend hours trying to
>reduce the project to its point of seg fault.
>
>On the other hand, let say I send you the entire choral symphony in a
>folder.  Then you are left going through the syntax looking for the
>problem.

Do you have any suggestions for how this should be fixed?

When a problem only shows up on complex files, *somebody* has to go
through the complex file to figure out why.  The person with the most
benefit to gain is generally the one who would be expected to spend the
most effort.  But not without guidance, which is what I hope the list can
provide.

Post a link to your source.  I'll run it and see if it segfaults on my
machine.  I might try a simple test or two.

I won't spend hours debugging it, but at least we'll have more information.

Thanks,

Carl