Re: key and chordmode

From: Róbert Kohányi
Subject: Re: key and chordmode
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 22:16:57 +0100

On my end, modifying "e,:1.7.10^3" to "e,:m1.7.10^3" in the supplied example has no effect on the output. :/ At least one of the two variation should produce a natural G above the fifth line, or am I overlooking something here? (/me amateur-self-taught-hobbyist guitar player.)

Moreover, replacing the chord definition in the example code with one of the two snippets below, should produce the same results (but it does not):

e,:m3 — G on the second line.
e,:m1.3 — G# on the second line.

Specifying "m" in the definition should indicate to LilyPond that I'm trying to create a minor chord, with a minor third. Is this a bug? Is this known? Should I create an issue for it?

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 9:13 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
Róbert Kohányi <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm trying to typeset an E minor seventh chord where the third is an
> octave higher and the fifth is omitted in the key of E minor
>
> Given the example below, I would expect that three notes are printed
> on the staff: E–first line, D–fourth line, G–above the fifth line.
> However instead of a G a G# is printed above the fifth line.
>
> If I change "e,:1.7.10^3" to "e,:1.7.10-^3" I get the desired output.
>
> Can I tell LilyPond somehow to "figure out" that I'm in E minor and
> the tenth of the chord is actually a G and not a G#? It seems to me
> that it builds the chord like the key was E major.
>
> \version "2.14.1"
> \relative c {
>   \clef "treble_8"
>   \key e \minor
>   \chordmode {
>     e,:1.7.10^3
>   }
> }

Chord specifications are completely independent from the current key
(except, of course, that the written accidentals depend on the key).  If
you want a minor chord, write e,:m1.7.10^3 or so.

--
David Kastrup