Re: ANN: Frescobaldi 1.9.5, last beta before 2.0.0

From: Phil Hézaine
Subject: Re: ANN: Frescobaldi 1.9.5, last beta before 2.0.0
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 21:35:13 +0100

Le 22/12/2011 00:44, Wilbert Berendsen a écrit :
Op Tue, 20 Dec 2011 23:40:15 +0100
Phil Hézaine<address@hidden>  schreef:

I have to install an overlay + this "java
thing" I don't like very much.

PortMidi itself is a small c library which should not require java.
There is some frontend tool in java but it's absolutely not needed :)

You're right. I finally installed the sunrise overlay and compiled portmidi-217 without java!!!. It required one dependency. cython-0.14.1
that's all. Thanks Gentoo.
Nevertheless there is a drawback.
Above all I have to launch timidity in a terminal:
      timidity -iA

Then there are 2 ways for using the midi,
1. with Alsa in standalone.

==> Requested buffer size 32768, fragment size 8192
ALSA pcm 'default' set buffer size 32768, period size 16384 bytes
TiMidity starting in ALSA server mode
Opening sequencer port: 128:0 128:1 128:2 128:3

I go to the Preferences => Reglages MIDI and refresh the midi ports.
Then I select TiMidity port 0 and all is OK. Hmm... Nearly. Sometimes two or three notes are jerky, not all the time but more than 7 out of 10 tries with different midifiles it happens. By default I never have an issue with Alsa and I run a realtime kernel. For me portmidi is the culprit.

2. with Jack (qjackctl)

I launch qjackctl

==> jack_client_new: deprecated
jack_client_new: deprecated
TiMidity starting in ALSA server mode
Opening sequencer port: 130:0 130:1 130:2 130:3

as you see the midi port has changed. Again I refresh the midi ports in Frescobaldi and I must select again TiMidity port 0 in the rolling list because "for old times' sake" I guess portmidi keep in memory the old port (128) not the new (130). This time the streaming is correct.

If for one reason the midi port has changed in 1. or 2. you have to reset the Preferences.

I don't want you spend an awful Christmas, surely not, I'm not the only one who appreciates your work very much. Rather consider it like a kind of bug report about the choice of portmidi, at least on Linux. i'm annoyed with myself for doing such a report when Christmas is not too distant future. :)

Regards.
Phil.