Horizontally Scrolling Score Aligned to Audio

From: Jay Anderson
Subject: Horizontally Scrolling Score Aligned to Audio
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 16:07:10 -0700

I recently created a video of the music to Reverie scrolling by
horizontally aligned to the audio (Steve Park gave me permission to
use the audio from his youtube video). Here's an overview of how I
made it:

- Set the music on one wide line with no breaks and no headers/footers.
- Convert it to a high density raster image.
  * Keeping it as PDF would be better, but this was easier for later steps.
- Mark each beat in the image (list of pixel offsets from left edge).
- Mark each beat in the audio (list of millisecond offsets from the
beginning of the audio).
  * My method of doing this was pretty crude: listen to the file and
record the times when I hit the spacebar.
- Create each frame aligning beats and interpolating frames between the beats.
  * I used linear interpolation. I'd like to use a different
interpolation method to make it less jerky.
  * I used Xuggler to draw each frame and combine it with the audio.
This way I didn't need to keep a huge directory of frames and could
create the video in one step.

Anyway, I thought it was a nice way to watch the score and might be of
some interest here. I at least like it better than the regular chopped
up scores that are prevalent on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv7k0GLjXLE

-----Jay