Skip a chord in a lead sheet

From: gajatko
Subject: Skip a chord in a lead sheet
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 04:56:15 -0800 (PST)

I would like to skip a given duration in a list of chords. For example, I
have notes:
 c''2  bes'2  c''1  e''2  d''2  e''1
and want to have chords displayed for these notes:
C  (skip a chord for bes)  Em C D C
My application, which uses LilyPond for displaying notes, can easily
generate this string:
c2  e1:m c2 d2 c1
because it knows duration of the notes. However, it would be more difficult
to generate
c1  e1:m c2 d2 c1
because I would have to implement an algorithm which sums durations.
It would be great if it was possible to put a custom text instead of
standard chord names. Then, I could write something like this: " "2, or
".."2, "?"2 etc.

The workaround is to repeat the latest chord and set "\set chordChanges =
##t", but then actual chord repeats would be hidden which is not desired.

Any help appreaciated,
greetings and Merry Christmas -- gajatko.