Re: lyrics with polyphany

From: -Eluze
Subject: Re: lyrics with polyphany
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 07:48:53 -0800 (PST)

Michael_D wrote:
Thanks for locating that for me -- I hadn't seen it (obviously). I had four parts, two to combine in the upper stave, and two in the lower, and I wanted the lyrics to appear between the two staves. I found a workaround, which is, basically, to combine the parts 'by hand' inside two voices (one for the upper, one for the lower). So the upper voice looks like << {a a a} \\ {f2 f4 } >> and similarly for the lower. The lyrics have to be done by hand (they don't pick up on the upper voice's melody, I suppose because there isn't just a single melody there), i.e., I have to indicate durations explicitly, but it works.
no need to associate a voice with a melody (voice)!

in the following code the text is between the 2 staves.

uppertop = \relative c'' {  c2 c4 c }
upperbottom = \relative c' {  a4 a a a }
mytext = \lyricmode {  ce4 be2 de4 }

\new GrandStaff <<
  \new Staff = "upper"
  <<
    \new Voice = "toppart1" { \voiceOne   \uppertop  }
    \new Voice = "toppart2" { \voiceTwo   \upperbottom  }
    \new Lyrics \mytext

  \new Staff = "lower" <<
    \new Voice = "lowpart1" { \voiceOne  \uppertop  }
    \new Voice = "lowpart2" { \voiceTwo \upperbottom  }

i think there are more examples about polyphonic notation in the manuals (Notation and Learning)
Eluze