Re: Some drum notation questions

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Some drum notation questions
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 22:02:47 +0000

On 1/4/12 11:32 AM, "Vaylor Trucks" <address@hidden> wrote:

>First, for hi-hat, the notation for open and closed are correct, but for
>the
>half-open he would like to appear exactly like the open hi-hat notation,
>except
>the "o" above the stem of the note needs to have a single slash through
>it.
>
>Also, the note head for a China cymbal he notes by having a standard
>cross note
>head, but with a box around it.
>
>Can anyone point me in the right direction for making these changes?
>
>Thanks,
>Vaylor Trucks

The half-open hihat you describe is shown in the Notation Reference,
section 2.5.1
under the heading "Custom Percussion Staves".

As far as I know, there is currently no notehead that is a cross with a
box around it.  This would require you to define a custom notehead, which
can be done by writing your own stencil procedure to replace
ly:note-head::print.

I'd be willing to create a glyph for the China cymbal note if you can give
me a scan of a well-designed China cymbal note-head.

HTH,

Carl