octave shift on transpose

From: Mark Mathias
Subject: octave shift on transpose
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 14:50:52 -0500

I really thought I understood the basic rules of note entry, but this has surprised me:
\version "2.15.25"
\relative c' { \repeat unfold 2 { d4^\markup \italic pizz. fis a b |
   c b a fis | }
  \transpose c f  { d^\markup \italic pizz. fis a b |
   c b a fis | }
}

Why does the "c" (transposed to "f") jump down to a lower octave? I thought \relative mode took care of this.

I fixed it by altering the c, but it goes against what I thought I'd learned:
  \transpose c f,  { d fis a b |
   c' b a fis | }
Thanks,
Mark