Simple chord/lyrics sheets?

From: John Hartnup
Subject: Simple chord/lyrics sheets?
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 12:11:00 +0000

Hi. I'm new to LilyPond, but I'm familiar with the TeX-like compilation model.

I'm looking for a way to produce chord sheets of the kind used by several of the communities I play with. These are very much akin to a lead sheet -- with bar lines, time signatures, chord names above, repeat marks, etc. -- but there are no stave lines or notes.

For a hand-drawn example, and an ASCII-art one, see this question on Stack Exchange:  http://music.stackexchange.com/questions/5551/lead-sheets-fake-sheets-without-score

I'm looking for a way to produce these which:
 - Is fast and convenient to write
 - Produces an attractive and readable end-product
 - Is easy to distribute by email etc.

I've found a way of doing this in LilyPond by making the notes and stave invisible -- but lyrics are tied to notes, to even though I'm not displaying notes, I have to write them -- breaking the "fast and convenient to write" requirement.

- Is LilyPond the right program to tackle this, or would something else be better (some LaTeX package?)
- If LilyPond, can I produce lyrics without corresponding notes?

--
"There is no way to peace; peace is the way"