Re: Note names in Midi Note Numbers?

From: Jonghyun Kim
Subject: Re: Note names in Midi Note Numbers?
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 20:05:53 +0100

In both midi sequencers(muse2 and rosegarden), can I calculate the pitch and the other one?

Ie: 48 + 50 = 98

It means: c + d = ?(i dont konw exactly..)

I wanna calculate by half step also quartertones.

Ie: 48.5 + 50 = 98.25

It means: c semi-sharp + d = ?

Could you understand me?

2012년 2월 28일 화요일에 Tim Roberts님이 작성:
Jonghyun Kim wrote:

My favorite software was OpenMusic(an opensource composition tool by ircam), and I turned to Linux, so I had to find an alternative. I thought Lilypond is the one. If you know, please suggest me an alternative to OpenMusic on Linux. I think Lilypond can be an alternative to Finale(or Sibelius) and OpenMusic(or PWGL). Isn't it? I didn't have another choice on Linux to replace OpenMusic... At this reasons I wanna use Lilypond as composition tool...

OpenMusic and Finale are very, very different kinds of tools.  OpenMusic is essentially a low-level MIDI sequencer (like CakeWalk).  It's primary purpose is to produce sounds.  You generate frequencies, you control the attack/decay envelope, you generate random notes, you produce strange effects.  It does have the ability to produce music on a staff, but they are not staves that any human being would want to read.  Have you looked at them?  Every accidental is notated as a sharp.

That's not what Finale, Sibelius, and LilyPond are for.  These programs are all designed to produce beautiful printed music for people to read.  All three can produce basic MIDI files as a side effect, but that's not their primary purpose.

If you want a sophisticated sequencer that also happens to be able to produce printed music, then Brett's suggestions are excellent.
--
Tim Roberts, address@hidden
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.