Re: lilypond 2.15.33 available as a FreeBSD port

From: Frank Wuest
Subject: Re: lilypond 2.15.33 available as a FreeBSD port
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 10:53:32 +0000 (GMT)

Von: Graham Percival <address@hidden>

>Technical reasons?  not many.  Cultural reasons?  they don't like

Actually, there are two significant technical reasons: the official FreeBSD
packages are usually
a bit behind on updates, and if you're running an older version of FreeBSD,
packages may
simply no longer be available.

>dependencies), but require a non-standardized way to install (i.e.
>the shell script) and uninstall (i.e. the uninstall-lilypond
>script) lilypond.

Other ports do that as well, Opera would be one of them. Granted, that one is
more of a
binary installation wrapped up in a port. Still, using ports vs. packages might
result in a different
version being installed :-o

As for me, I was glad the official port was switched from the development
branch to the stable branch
some time ago. After all, the development version may contain a critical bug
that you won't know
about unless you're reading some of the mailing lists.

As a sidenote: I did initially install Lilypond from ports while it was still
building the devel
version. I then encountered the user error regarding the \relative command I
about some time ago. That made me try to install the FreeBSD source package
that was
offered at the time, but couldn't get it to work as per the instructions. I
worked around this
by combining the stable sources with the devel makefile :->