Re: musical logic: what dynamic after the repeat (picture attached)?

From: Rob Collinson
Subject: Re: musical logic: what dynamic after the repeat (picture attached)?
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 09:36:04 +0000

Hello all.

It's my first ever reply to a forum anywhere, so if I've done something wrong I apologise.

I should say that in lieu of any further editorial marks or cautionary reminders, the dynamic would be "p" until the end of the music.  My crude litmus test would be to imagine the music written out in full rather than as a repeat section.  Given the two dynamic markings the "p" would prevail as this would be the last dynamic indication.

Rob

On 18 March 2012 09:24, -Eluze <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> What dynamic is in measure 3 after the repeat? p or f?
>>> And yes, I know it is better to write something explicit than implicit.
>>> I personally would write a new dynamic sign after ||: but how to
>>> interpret it if somebody did it like in the picture?

3rd measure after the begin of the repeat - it's written there!

more serious: I know scores/composers writing 2nd time piano - omitting this
allows the conclusion: it must be forte.