Re: al niente hairpin symbol

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: al niente hairpin symbol
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 16:46:40 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Siska Ádám" <address@hidden>
To: "LilyPond Users" <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2012 6:37 PM
Subject: al niente hairpin symbol

Dear List,

I noticed that when a glissando with a decrescendo hairpin attached to it is broken into multiple lines, the 'al niente' sign is printed just before the break. This is rather confusing, as one might think that the end-note of the glissando, which appears in the next line, is actually a note that has to be played (which, of course, is not true; as the decrescendo ends with al niente, that sound must be silent, it just shows where the glissando should end).

Is there any workaround for this? Currently I'm just putting a flageolet sign below the note in the second line, but that's not very nice. Obviously, the best would be if the hairpin would break with the glissando, in which case it could end on the very first note of the second line.

Here's a very short example:

\relative c' {
 \override Glissando #'breakable = ##t
 \override Hairpin #'circled-tip = ##t
 c1\> \glissando \break c'\!
}

Thanks for any help,
Ádám

I think the problem you're identifying here is one with how hairpins behave at breaks and nothing to do with the glissando? See the attached: the first hairpin should reach the next note, like the second hairpin does.

\relative c' {
 \override Hairpin #'to-barline = ##f
 c'1\> \break c\! \break
 c\> c\!
 \override Hairpin #'to-barline = ##t
 c\> c\!
}

Am I missing an over-ride to make this happen?

--
Phil Holmes