Re: controlling footnote separator line

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: controlling footnote separator line
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 08:41:38 +0200

Am 25.04.2012 08:34, schrieb address@hidden:

On 25 avr. 2012, at 08:19, Urs Liska wrote:

Am 25.04.2012 08:18, schrieb address@hidden:
On 25 avr. 2012, at 08:15, Urs Liska wrote:

Am 20.04.2012 10:43, schrieb Gilles:

Unfortunately I didn't find the property that controls the line separating the footnote. from the score.
Is this possible?
is it documented (and I am blind)?
or is this impossible?

Well not easy to find.
In, you have some variable controlling Footnotes.
By default, the settings are

\paper {
 footnote-separator-markup = \markup \fill-line { \override #'(span-factor . 1/2) \draw-hline }
 footnote-padding = 0.5\mm
 footnote-footer-padding = 0.5\mm
 footnote-number-raise = 0.5\mm
 footnote-numbering-function = #numbered-footnotes
 reset-footnotes-on-new-page = ##t

If you set :
footnote-separator-markup = \markup \null
it will do the trick.

Thank you again for this hint which works perfectly.
(and BTW looking into this I had the opportunity to understand something new about lily's workings ...)

But I have a new question in this context:
How can I override the font that is used for footnotes?

Footnotes use markups, so you should be able to control the font within the markup:

Yes, but as mentioned I want to override it for the whole document, and I didn't find a place where this is possible.

Ah, sorry, missed that bit.

You can likely kludge your way through this - basically, you want to write a dummy callback for a property that'll be consulted no matter what (something like Y-extent).  This can read the markup stashed in the 'footnote-text property, wrap it in a font override, reset the footnote-text property with the new markup, and then return whatever Y-extent was supposed to return (the default is #f).

OK, I was already afraid it would look something like that.
As this is way over my head, I'd rather to it by hand in the current project :-(

Or, another idea I missed to mention in my earlier post:
I can write a markup function to call from the footnote text. This isn't automatical but of course at least document (or project) wide.

Can you tell me how I can override font-name from within a markup function? I only understood how to access properties like \italic (#:italic) etc.