Re: \RemoveEmptyStaffContext doesn't remove empty staff

From: Thomas Ruedas
Subject: Re: \RemoveEmptyStaffContext doesn't remove empty staff
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 02:50:09 +0200

Hi Choan and Harm,
thanks for the prompt reply.
On 27/4/12 2:28 AM, Thomas Morley wrote:
this is a new feature with 2.14.
The "Keep_alive_together_engraver": Per default a PianoStaff is
removed only when all staves are empty. A single staff isn't deleted
any more.
If you want this behaviour, remove the "Keep_alive_together_engraver".
Ah, that explains everything! Yes, now it works as it should.
I doubt that this new default behavior reflects common practice, though; to me, it doesn't make much sense, and I'd like to suggest to the developers (in case they read this) to reconsider this and keep empty staves only if the total number of staffs would otherwise be one (or maybe not even then).
Below follows a short
example that reproduces the problem; it follows the approach given in the
example snippet from
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/input/regression/collated-files.html, which is
similar to my original.
Would be nice If you name the sippet, the regression-test is very large.
For the record, the snippet is in
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/input/regression/b5/lily-f6f979e0.ly
the link to which can be found by searching for "\RemoveEmptyStaffContext" on that webpage. The example in it is not a PianoStaff, however, but some general sort of staff; I hadn't expected this to be the crucial difference.
Best,
Thomas