Re: uniform-stretching results in too much space after barline

From: James
Subject: Re: uniform-stretching results in too much space after barline
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 06:56:53 +0100

Hello,

On 2 May 2012 22:58, Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i have a piano-vocal piece with badly spaced triplets (see attached
> png).  When i turn uniform-stretching on, the triplets are fixed, but
> there is a serious problem with space after barline (in the real score
> it looks much more ugly than in the example below).
> I've looked at the spacing code that uses uniform-stretching, and also
> tried changing BarLine's spacing alist, but didn't find any solution.
> Ideas?
>
> \version "2.15.36"   % 2.14.2 has the same problem
>
> \markup "uniform-stretching results in too much space after barline"
> \score {
>  { \repeat unfold 16 { \times 2/3 { gis'8 a' b' } } }
>  \layout {
>    indent = 0
>    system-count = #2
>    \context {
>      \Score
>      \override SpacingSpanner #'uniform-stretching = ##t
>    }
>  }
> }
>
> \markup "For comparison, here's the same fragment without uniform-stretching"
> \score {
>  { \repeat unfold 16 { \times 2/3 { gis'8 a' b' } } }
>  \layout {
>    indent = 0
>    system-count = #2
>  }
> }
>
> % cheers,
> % Janek

I couldn't work out what your first attachment (with the slur) had to
do with the PDF, bt anyway try

\markup "uniform-stretching results in too much space after barline"
\score {
 { \time 1/4 \repeat unfold 16 { \times 2/3 { gis'8 a' b' } } }
 \layout {
   indent = 0
   system-count = #2
   ragged-right = ##t
   \context {
     \Score
     \override SpacingSpanner #'uniform-stretching = ##t

\markup "For comparison, here's the same fragment without uniform-stretching"
\score {
 { \time 1/4 \repeat unfold 16 { \times 2/3 { gis'8 a' b' } } }
 \layout {
   indent = 0
   system-count = #2
      ragged-right = ##t

(basically change the \time an add a ragged right) and it seems
counterintuitive, but the two are definitely different in this regard.
To be perfectly honest I like the space, and when you cram the notes
in the space does seem to be even  - try repeat unfold 32 for
instance. I cannot see any difference - if that matters.

james