Re: Too complicated and time consuming ...

From: ArnoldTheresius
Subject: Re: Too complicated and time consuming ...
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 00:28:32 -0700 (PDT)

joannesmith wrote:

> Hello to all.
> We are in the process of making our own hymn books (we use shape notes).
> We have about 450 hymns that are in paper format right now (copied,
> pasted, written on, sloppy, taped, marked, etc.) and I have the job of
> making them all look nice. A friend suggested lilypond. I appreciate all
> that lilypond can do, but I find that it is taking a painful amount of
> time!!!!
> So my question ... maybe there is another program that will better suite
> my needs?? Or maybe there is someone here that is really good at entering
> a variety of hymns into lilypond and would be willing to help me every now
> and then??? ...

Yes, my experience is, the syntax of lilypond is some ugly to new users. But
thats the same with every programming language. And lilypond is more like a
programming language (compiler), and absolutely not a
What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get interactive application with graphic user
interface.
At the beginning I thought to use one of these GUI programms which can
export a LY file. But the ones I tried were not compatible with my old
operating system version I used at this time. So I cannot recommend one,
either.
Today I expect for retyping a page of a full size orchestral part (which is
larger than DIN A4 resp. LETTER sheetsize) approx. one and a half hour,
including visual check and obtaining two differently transposed reprints.
Writing by hand would need the same time, but then I would only have on
transposition of it.

Today I like lilypond for several features:
+ associativity (one part, one place to put corrections in, corrected where
ever it is used)
+ stabiliy
+ expandability (e.g. \prall with an alteration above, which is
automatically adapted when you transpose it, e. g. form A-clarinet to
Bflat-clarinet)
+ good (very good) readabily of the result
+ very littly (often none) adjustments required to recieve a good readable
print

Well, I know, entering the music on the computer keyboard is some time
consuming. One of the projects I'm working at the moment is a collection of
22 dances, 16 instrument parts existing (available), one additional
instrument part has to be re-created when the score of the single piece is
complete, many alternate parts (transpositions, other clefs) have to be
generated. Only one quarter is done until now. I expect to complete in
within a total period of one or two years, because other tasks with higher
priority interrupt my work, and I failed to motivate other people to (try
to) enter the voices they need transposed into a lilypond file thus I would
only need to do correction, final touches, and what they marked "I don't
know how to do this, there".

Sorry, but I wont help you typing your songs.