Re: is shapeSlur broken?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: is shapeSlur broken?
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 16:17:21 +0200

Am 11.05.2012 01:27, schrieb David Nalesnik:
Hi Harm,

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 6:00 PM, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:
2012/5/11 Thomas Morley <address@hidden>:
> Hi David,
>
> I thought a while about your function.
> I'd like to suggest some changes. In the attached file you can see:
>
> - Elimination of `function' as argument of shape-curve and introducing
> it as local variable.

I like this!  I had thought of looking up the callback (as an alternative to passing it in), but hadn't found a way to do it.  Nice!

> - A new condition added in shape-curve at the siblings-variable: ly:spanner?

Right--otherwise overriding LaissezVibrerTie won't work.

> - In the music-function I added a new variable to specify the grob.

Aha--I didn't realize you could drop the # in the latest versions.  I like this too.  Of course, if you want to stick with shapeSlur (and its ilk) you can define it like this:

shapeSlur =
#(define-music-function (parser location offsets) (list?)
  #{
    \once \override Slur #'control-points = #(shape-curve offsets location)
  #})
I would prefer this one, although it needs a lot of individual functions be defined.
But there should be no problem in defining the shapeXXX set of function parallel to a \shape XXX #'( version).

I hope I'll find the way how to update #(display-control-points) (from the other thread on bug-lilypond) so it works with the other curve types too.

Best
Urs

> These give the advantage to define only one music-function.
> Of course there is need to specify which grob should be applied.
>
> But now it works for all curves:
>
> Slur
> PhrasingSlur
> Tie
> RepeatTie
> LaissezVibrerTie
>
> I didn't test it very widly, but what do you think?

I like it all.

Oops, forgot to delete the wrong version-number..
Please switch to \version "2.15.36" or higher.

I don't have 2.14.2 up to test, but this all should work there provided you add the # before the string?

So:
\shape #"Slur" #'( ...

Thanks so much!

Best,