Re: Source management tools for lilypond projects

From: Christian Andersson
Subject: Re: Source management tools for lilypond projects
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 12:36:35 +0200

Congratulations for touching upon a "hot" subject, pretty much like asking people what text editor to use, something that has been debated for decades without any objective conclusion.

Personally I tend to prefer git, not only for lilypond score projects, but for anything text-oriented. This is mainly because of its exceptional versatility and likewise exceptional efficiency. First of all, the lock-based approach that you describe to the inherent concurrency of a more-than-one-person project is obsolete since many years, so forget about that. It should not be too much of a problem having two or more persons to edit one file at the same time, the solution is (tool-supported) merge, in which git excels. Git is, by the way, the tool used for source-code control of Lilypond itself, which is indeed larger than the 200-500-file projects that you describe. On the other hand, I personally use git for many 1-3-file projects of mine; it scales very well.

Depending on your background in version-control tools, git may not be the simplest of tools to learn quickly. It's not that Google lacks pointers to a lot of documentation, but since git is advanced, many sources can be quite difficult to consume. One of the better books in this regard, which I'd like to recommend, is "Pragmatic Version Control Using Git" by Travis Swicegood (2008).

Now, sit down and await all flames from proponents of all the other tools! Bazaar anyone? Or Subversion, CVS, whatever?

Cheers /Christian