Re: Volta repeat with different lyrics places all words on lower staff

From: Eluze
Subject: Re: Volta repeat with different lyrics places all words on lower staff
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 23:34:08 +0200

Am 20.05.2012 10:43, schrieb Colin Jesse Kinlund:
Hi everyone, I’m using ver 2.15.38 (since the 2.16 release isn’t out), and
being the first time I’ve used an unstable build I don’t know if this is a bug,
since there are no examples on the website that directly correspond.

I’m setting a piece for three voices with sections that repeat for the purpose
of the next verse. So what I want to have happen is (view with a monospace
font):

Top voice - - - - - - - |: - - - - - - - - - :|
Lyrics, blah blah blah    First verse lyrics
                          Second verse lyrics
Middle voice  - - - - - |: - - - - - - - - - :|
Lyrics, blah blah blah    First verse lyrics
                          Second verse lyrics
Bottom voice - - - - -  |: - - - - - - - - - :|
Lyrics, blah blah blah    First verse lyrics
                          Second verse lyrics

Diligently following the instructions at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/techniques-specific-to-lyrics#lyrics-and-repeats
 , there is no trouble with a single-staff system as in the example, but adding
another voice causes all the text in the second verse to drop to the
bottom-most staff, like this:

Top voice - - - - - - - |: - - - - - - - - - :|
Lyrics, blah blah blah    First verse lyrics

Middle voice  - - - - - |: - - - - - - - - - :|
Lyrics, blah blah blah    First verse lyrics

Bottom voice - - - - -  |: - - - - - - - - - :|
Lyrics, blah blah blah    First verse lyrics
                          Second verse lyrics
                          Second verse lyrics
                          Second verse lyrics

I have worked on this problem for days now, and I have no idea if I’m doing
something wrong or if this is a real bug. I could not find any examples that
dealt with volta repeats of different text with more than a single voice.
Please, please help!
Below is a small example with actual code (25 lines due to formatting).
Un-comment the commented lines to see the issue.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
- Colin

\version "2.15.38"
\score {
   <<
        \new ChoirStaff {
        <<
                \new Voice = "melody" \relative c''
                { a4 a a a \repeat volta 2 { b4 b b b } c4 c8 c c2 }
                \new Lyrics \lyricsto "melody"
                { The start -- ing words.
                        <<
                        { The first time words. }
                                \new Lyrics
                                {
                                \set associatedVoice = "melody"
                                Sec -- ond time words.
                                }

                        The fin -- al words.
                }
%               \new Voice = "harmony" \relative c'
%               { f4 f f f \repeat volta 2 { g8 g g4 g2 } a4 a8. a16 a2 }

I think your two voices "melody" and "harmony" are not contained in the same staff - try (within your choirstaff, if needed)
\new Staff <<
\new Voice = melody …
\new Voice = harmony …

hth