Re:Manual volta placement and invisible barline kills previous barline

From: Philip Thomas
Subject: Re:Manual volta placement and invisible barline kills previous barline
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 16:59:22 +0200

<URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/notation/bars#bar-numbers>
> does explain break-visibility.

> David Kastrup

Thanks, David.

I hope I'm not missing the point. I have some understanding, I think, about
the visibility of _bar numbers_ (for example, I realize that an invisible
barline at the beginning of a piece will make the first bar number visible,
if the break-visibility of bar numbers is set correctly). I also understand
that overrides are available to make bar numbers visible or invisible
depending on where they are located in relation to line breaks (that is, at
the end, middle or beginning of the line).

My problem, however (apart from that I first encountered, namely, the bad
placement of the volta bracklet colliding with the key signature), was the
disappearance of the _barline_ at the end of the preceding bar when I added
an invisible barline at the beginning of the next line. I apologize if it
should be readily apparent how what is said in the documentation you cite
about visibility of bar numbers would be applicable to visibility of
barlines in the circumstances I mentioned, but it wasn't apparent to me. For
example, I can't find anything that tells me how adding an explicit
invisible barline affects break-visibility properties of any explicit
barline in the preceding bar or line.

While I'm certainly not sure that I've properly understood the role of
break-visibility in this, a quick check suggests to me that an invisible
barline \bar "" when placed at the beginning of _any_ bar appears to make
the previous barline invisible even if it has been spelt out as \bar "|".

At any rate,  my problem with the colliding volta bracket remains.

Cheers, Philip