Re: Directed \tweak commands in 2.15.39

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Directed \tweak commands in 2.15.39
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 00:39:44 +0200

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 3:10 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Honestly?  Our documentation was created in lots of little bits from
>> different contributors at different times.  If we hope to bring it into
>> a reasonably more consistent state, discussing single lines and examples
>> is going to be ridiculously inefficient.
>>
>> Instead, it would make more sense if people opted to take care of
>> something like a chapter at a time, or the relation between two
>> chapters, and brought them into line.
>
> Good point.  However, bearing in mind that GLISS may change (a lot
> of?) things, i think it makes more sense to do it first.

Presuming that "it" == "GLISS", I totally disagree.  I am currently
redoing the footnote docs.  I have spent now about three times the time
on ordering material in a good manner and writing understandable prose
in the "proper style" than I changed actually changing things.  Now
guess someone came and changed the syntax to something different while
keeping the functionality the same.  Expected effort to adapt to it: 5
minutes.  Less than the time gained for the project by a few potential
contributors _not_ deciding to give up on LilyPond for good as being too
hard for them because of its existing docs.

Writing good docs is lots of hard work.  Adapting it to a new input
syntax, in contrast, dead easy.  Most of the work will likely even be
done by convert-ly.

--
David Kastrup