Re: Beaming regression 2.15.39 compared to 2.14.2

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Beaming regression 2.15.39 compared to 2.14.2
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 16:56:37 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden>
To: "Urs Liska" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2012 12:19 PM

On 24 mai 2012, at 12:04, Urs Liska wrote:

Am 24.05.2012 11:57, schrieb Toine Schreurs:
On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 05:13:55PM +1000, Nick Payne wrote:
In 2.14.2, the output for the second bar beams all five eighth notes
together, as I would expect. In 2.15.39, the first eighth note is not
beamed with the others:

\relative c'' {
    \time 3/4
    c8 c c c c c
    r c c c c c
}
It apparently is different from 2.14.2, but I would not call this a
regression.

In 3/4, I would like to have 6 eights beamed together, but if any
rests are involved, the beaming should be per quarter in order to
preserve the 3-beat character. In:

\relative c'' {
   \time 3/4
    r4 r8 c c c
 }

the default beaming in 2.14.2 gives an impression of a 2-beat, which should
be avoided.

Toine Schreurs

Just one comment, a question that I had several times when reading such reports.
Don't know if this applies here, but:
A regression is something that doesn't work in a later version and that has _deliberately_ worked in a previous version. I.e. something that has once been fixed to work in that specific way. If it just was correct and isn't anymore, it isn't considered a regression but just a newly introduced bug.
Best
Urs

Still a regression. Any change in behavior that is not fully accounted for in the change log and that you feel leads to worse behavior than a previous version is a regression. People can then either report it as a change, at which point it is a feature, or they can fix it, at which point the old functionality is restored.

Looks to me like a bug in 2.14.2. Beaming 5 quavers together doesn't give much clue to the beat pattern?

--
Phil Holmes