how to enter notes quickly (midi keyboard available)

From: Klaus Föhl
Subject: how to enter notes quickly (midi keyboard available)
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 17:28:02 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,

I like the lilypond notation using \relative being concise and readable.
Entering on a computer keyboard is fairly quick, but still it feels
that playing a melody line would be so much quicker. In particular
if one does not have a typing c4 d e f g1 style but c4 d4. e8 f8. g16 c,1

What "better" methods exist?

For example I have looked into rosegarden output.
Minor issue:the output is not in relative notation.
More cumbersome are slightly non-aligned notes to the beat
(me being an imperfect human) and in particular varying
note lengths introducing rests where the music and the audible sound
both have none.

I have seen techniques where the pitch is via piano keyboard
and rhythm is via computer keyboard. I am not fully convinced.

I have seen a custom-designed computer keyboard that combines
pitch and duration. It might work well after a learning curve.

What I am tempted is to take midi file information (i.e. gunzip a.rg),
or the rosegarden ly output and reverse-engineer it into event lists.
Whatever the detail: only piano-keyboard input and get both pitch and length.

Then to apply some smart quantisation. For one thing notes like c1
are much more likely than c2... or alignment with bars is probable,
aspects that require some adaptive rules, possibly some parameter training.
Also the routine should pick up and follow the meter as played,
as opposed to techniques providing the rigid mentronome frame.

Well, before I reinvent the wheel myself: are such things already out there?

Cheers
Klaus