Re: ly2video - create videos from your LilyPond projects

From: FireTight
Subject: Re: ly2video - create videos from your LilyPond projects
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 00:00:00 -0700 (PDT)

Urs Liska-4 wrote:

> This is great!
>
> one question: How did you manage to create that endless, one-system
> layout?
>
> Best
> Urs

I'm using a very long paper size, something like "10 * width of video
resolution" (e.g. 10 * 1280, etc.)

Christopher R. Maden wrote:

> Looks great!  A few notes — almost all negative, so I should say that
> aside from these, it seems a really excellent start.
>
> 1) In the download, the Python script isn’t executable.  See if you
> can make it so within the zip file.
>
> [I have some package dependency issues, so the rest of this is based
> on the videos.]
>
> 2) Can you smooth out the speed transitions?  When the music isn’t
> laid out in linear time — i.e., when it is laid out normally — the
> scroll has to speed up and slow down.  Right now, it’s a little jerky
> and honestly a little nauseating to me.  In physics terms, the third
> derivative of position (the “jerk”, where first is velocity and second
> is acceleration) seems to have some singularities, which is unnatural
> and upsetting to naturally-evolved brains.
>
> 3) Can you get rid of the page breaks?  This may be a ’pond
> limitation, but an effectively infinitely wide page would be cool.
> With that, I would turn off the title and other info that is centered
> on the “page”; it seems silly to have that scroll by a minute into the
> piece.
>
> 4) Do articulate or similar tricks work?  IOW, can this handle
> synthesizing separate \layout and \midi blocks into a single video?
>
> ~Chris
> - --
> Chris Maden, text nerd  <URL: http://crism.maden.org/ >
> LIVE FREE: vote for Gary Johnson, Libertarian for President.
> GnuPG fingerprint: DB08 CF6C 2583 7F55 3BE9  A210 4A51 DBAC 5C5C 3D5E
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
>
> iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJPvmRvAAoJEEpR26xcXD1eR14H/RrCdK8pgYU5dV9hwg7jBmal
> HlXAN5HQQIf+X4+wLFOROKZHvo/i21D6dl/RgJNJPyXs3/+GT9hN3l3MNKG8Nov3
> OndHM2bY5M1MsWunrTKRf32PXfUkE2tTnseHC0pBc4Z6/BFHjNwlexxa2a4Tuxut
> C9uTaUWBkdlvdsM33APxt+9e54ia3W+R5rPeng/lcKG2cjZFVpJNisfMJLP3wm5Q
> idbuQUEC+YiOkSuEUHLx6L5UrS1rAJ5sQaEHCyoLPt49UgpLXLhy20wqDVRE45Db
> ekl3W7oEnUxUM+NwH8me6cFPiKXA8QjhT6G/x/l/WFuxwxfmWAU3zflkmyCgsno=
> =wUjy

Thanks for the feedback!

1) The problem is, I'm a "Python rookie". I know this language for about
half-year, so right now I don't know how to do this.
2) What do you mean exactly? Because most of jerks in videos are created by
YouTube. I really don't know why, but when I watch these videos on my
computer, there are no problems. Maybe it needs higher frame rate, I will
check it out.
3) Yeah, I tried to work with only one long page, but LilyPond generated
that so long, it was unusable... :/ I guess the reasonable maximum of page
width is something between 4-5 meters. That "title issue" was only in alfa
version.
4) Articulation unfortunately doesn't work right now, because I'm
synchronizing notes with MIDI events and I don't know how to separate that
"extra events" of one note. Separate \layout and \midi blocks don't work
too, but I guess I can fix that very easily.

Janek Warchoł-2 wrote:

> Hi Jiri,
>
> Cool!
> Having visual playback like that is what my choir misses after we
> switched to Lily from Finale.
> I have one idea: instead of moving the score, move the line.  It will
> be easier on eyes (especially in fast tempos), and i suppose that the
> jerks will be less visible.
>
> thanks!
> Janek

You mean something like sequence of static images of music staff and just
switch between them, when the line reaches the end of one image? I guess I
can add this as an option and just let users to choose what they want to
have.

Jiri Szabo