Appreciation / Financial support

From: James Harkins
Subject: Appreciation / Financial support
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 22:29:13 +0800

Hm, I sent this message yesterday, didn't go through. :-|

Following up on the appreciation another user expressed for Lilypond's power --
I really have to echo the sentiment. I'm sure I've mentioned before that my
current project is a piece for sheng and computer. The sheng is a Chinese
"mouth organ" (the Thai khaen is another type of mouth organ). Like the guitar,
it's a polyphonic instrument and usually notated on one staff[1] -- with all
the challenges of (classical) guitar notation.

I'm attaching a sample of today's typesetting work. As in earlier work on this
piece, it's kind of shocking how little tweaking I have to do, even for
moderately complex notation. (I cut one of the examples I tried to post before
(maybe the list didn't like the size of the attachments) -- in that one, I
dropped an ossia staff with a single line underneath the main staff, with
feathered beaming to show an accel/ritard for a breath tremolo, piece of cake
in LP while I'm fairly sure I would have had to slash my wrists to get the same
result from Finale.)

Really, it blows me away. It's insane that notation software should be so
smart. The LOMUS award is absolutely well-deserved. Many, many thanks and
congratulations to the developers.

Related: I can't say I read the list very closely, so somehow I overlooked the
fact before that David K.'s livelihood comes from working on Lilypond. I had
assumed Lilypond was almost completely a volunteer effort (like SuperCollider,
for which I contribute some code, bug fixes and documentation when I can), so I
hadn't taken seriously the idea of supporting Lilypond financially. The recent
thread changes my mind about that. I can't do it immediately for reasons I
don't need to discuss, but after I get back to the US for summer holiday, I can
make a donation on the order of a few years' worth of "Finale tax" (yearly
$100-$120 US upgrade fee).

I'd urge other users to think in similar terms. If Lilypond is as valuable to
you as Finale or Sibelius, or more: How much do those packages cost? Does a
$10-$15 donation match the value you get out of Lilypond? My contribution may
be a small amount of what David needs, but... if I can put that kind of value
on Lilypond, maybe you can too.

hjh

[1] http://christopheradler.com/khaen-for-composers.pdf

--