Re: musescore lands sponsoring?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: musescore lands sponsoring?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 11:15:08 +0200

"address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 29 mai 2012, at 09:56, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
>

>> Just to make sure you have seen
>>

>> http://www.opengoldbergvariations.org/b-sendorfer-sponsors-open-goldberg-project-providing-concert-grand-ceus-recording-technology-0
>>
>> Wouldn't LilyPond have been a technically superior choice for this
>> sponsoring project?  What are we missing?
>>
>> Jan
>>

> We're missing consensus.  I think that if there were a
> SponsorshipMeister, not unlike the BugMeister, we could do really cool
> stuff like this.  Besides the monetary aid, this brings huge
> recognition to the community and gets a lot of people on board.

I don't agree: the money aspect is not really where we want to go since
what it _can_ achieve is much less than what already _works_ with
LilyPond.

> LoMuS is already a great step in this direction - it took me 1 hour
> max to fill out and send the application and as a result we'll have
> better skylines at the end of the summer.

That glosses over the fact that the money does not turn out skylines,
but rather Mike does.  And getting Mike to the state where he will crank
out skylines took a lot of dedication and time, something quite
impossible to pay for with tiny sums like that of LoMuS.  And I have a
hunch that it will take again a lot of dedication and time from others
before the skylines are actually production quality.

A "SponsorshipMeister" is dangerously close to the premise that we can
turn money into LilyPond.  The truth is that we can turn enthusiasm into
LilyPond.

> We already have a great piece of software that speaks for itself - we
> just need someone (or a group of people) dedicated to contacting
> people and seeking out collaborations.  But before that, as I said
> above, we need consensus, and I know that there are a few people who
> don't want to see LilyPond go in this direction.

We don't make the best of our potential for selling LilyPond out.  But
we should not run into trap of making money a metric for the success of
LilyPond or its contributors.

--
David Kastrup