Re: Layout of staff systems and text blocks

From: Philip Thomas
Subject: Re: Layout of staff systems and text blocks
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 12:46:32 +0200

>>2012/5/30 Philip Thomas <address@hidden>:
>>(...)
>> The problem: How do I get the Background Notes to sit happily where I
>> want them on page 3?
>>(...)

Hi Harm,

Once again you have been incredibly kind and helpful.

Since writing to the forum yesterday, I had been experimenting with an added
Dynamics context to act as a kind of "skyhook" for the Background Notes.
That succeeded in placing the Notes beneath the lyrics OK, but it wrecked
the horizontal spacing of the previous staff system.

Your solution is much more elegant, and it worked immediately on my score,
with a couple of adjustments, e.g. to center the footer, including page
numbers, on pages 2 and 3. (I followed your suggestion as to changing your
'third-page' definition separately for each page, which would have been a
little tedious if there had been 100 pages; sometime I will learn how to
define the footer for 'every-other-page'!) Thank you so much, anyway!

Two problems remain:

First, the two systems on the last page are now jammed together too close,
although visually there seems to be plenty of space available. Can you
suggest what \paper setting I should look at to fix that? Vertical spacing
issues are not the easiest to resolve, I have found. There are scads of
properties and it isn't altogether clear how they all work, individually and
in combination.

Second, can you suggest how to add a "segue" indication below the bass line
lyrics? It would be placed at the end of, and below, the second system on
page 3 -- i.e. above the Background Notes and to the right. It would seem to
be more logical if it was anchored in the music or lyrics rather than as
part of the footer.

Thanks tons, Philip