Re: besideCN seems to have stopped working

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: besideCN seems to have stopped working
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 21:16:08 +0200

Gerry Prosser <address@hidden> writes:

> Choan ... if you are scheme-illiterate, what does that make me ?
> Removing the dollars certainly seems to work - thank you! Hopefully
> someone cleverer than us will be along shortly to explain why ...... G

Actually, I was not able to explain the _previous_ behavior
satisfactorily.  If you take a look at the history of the "Extending
LilyPond" manual, you'll find that I rewrote the sections focused around
#{ ... #} repeatedly.  At some point of having to explain the
three-or-whatever uses of $ inside of #{ ... #} I got annoyed to the
point of letting $ have just a single function, and that in- or outside
of #{ ... #} alike, and letting variables and expressions inside of
#{ ... #} work as a naive person would expect without throwing around
dollar signs in incomprehensible manners.

Check out the 2.14 manuals for an approximation of previous behavior.
If you feel like you understand the rationale behind it, you are a
cleverer person than I am.  I preferred dumbing down LilyPond to a level
where I don't feel guilty when explaining it.

--
David Kastrup