Re: how to underline or italic a single word in lyric?

From: Jay Hamilton
Subject: Re: how to underline or italic a single word in lyric?
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 19:07:23 -0700

Sorry but it's not in the v2.14 pdf manual.  I looked there first - twice.  I looked there after you wrote- I just did a search for \italic in that section and there's plenty of uses but none in lyric, a search for \markup {\italic also came up with nothing-  the snippet you provided me a link to isn't in the pdf manual.  I'm not arguing against your point, in fact, in general I agree but if it's not there it can't be found.
Section 1.8.2 leads to the idea that maybe one can use markup in lyrics but the section uses text in such a way as to suggest that lyrics and text are different
Also the only time I have ever used markup is to make a markup i.e. something outside the staff for performance and not inline like this is...
Nevertheless,  problem solved and thank you again.
Jay

Hi Jay,

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-vocal-music
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-vocal-music

> But we 'should' be able to use common words to find something like this. No?

Yes… But as you know, there's only so much hand-holding the documentors can do: once they've indicated (a) that markup can be used in Lyrics and (b) how one applies underlines, italics, etc. to markups, I imagine there are much more important improvements to be made in the docs than linking those two concepts explicitly.

Cheers,
Kieren.

--
Jay Hamilton Sound and Silence www.soundand.com 206-328-7694