Re: midi for orchestral scores

From: Nils
Subject: Re: midi for orchestral scores
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 13:36:59 +0200

Shevek <address@hidden> wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has developed a good workflow for dealing with midi
> playback for scores using more than 16 instruments. I've been playing around
> with the various options for midiChannelMapping and playback programs, but I
> can't seem to figure out a way to get playback of all the parts with all the
> right instruments. I realize the technical hurdles of actually implementing
> multiple port playback in Lilypond, so I'm not asking about that. All the
> same, it doesn't seem that what I want is that complicated from a user
> perspective. I don't want to be able to tweak my midi in fancy ways or use
> different special soundfonts or sample libraries: I just want to be able to
> check the pitches and rhythms for all the parts with the correct midi
> sounds. Does anyone have a good way of doing this?
>
> I thought maybe the simplest way would be to make, for example, a midi file
> for the wind parts, and a midi file for the string parts, and then play them
> simultaneously to two separate midi ports, but I can't seem to figure out
> how to get the files to play in sync.
>
> Suggestions?

We are dealing with midi here, that means 16 instruments max. at each given
time.
If you want more you need to use several players in sync, connected to several
samples/synths. One for each player.
Since that is hard to do manually this role is done by software called
"Sequencer".

What lilypond needs to do is to export 16 instruments on 16 channels and then
import all to QTractor or similar, hook it up to several instances of
fluidsynth, timidity or Linuxsampler and play away.

This is hard work and best automated. Lilypond is no sequencer and afaik nobody
wrote a script or program to automate the whole process.

Nils