Re: New question - Threepenny Opera. Urgent, please help!

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: New question - Threepenny Opera. Urgent, please help!
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 09:23:18 +0200

Rosel Labone <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello oh helpful, lovely people of LilyPond Land!
>
> I just purchased two Kurt Weill pieces but they are in the wrong key.
> I need them transposed before next Saturday, or I need someone who
> already has them in the correct key??
>
> The pieces are:
>
> Pirate Jenny - needs to be transposed from A minor a tone lower, to G
> minor
> Solomon Song - need to be transposed to F# major
>
> I can forward you the PDFs if you can help me out...
>
> This is a matter of some urgency and anyone who can help will have my
> undying devotion!

One would need to type them off.  Once you have them available as
LilyPond source, transposing is trivial.

It is unlikely that you have a problem with getting the singing voice
transposed, so the amount of material that needs to get typed in depends
on the version.  Probably a piano voice.

If this is a one-time performance, it might make sense to check for the
availability of a good-quality electronic piano: those can usually be
made to transpose on the fly.

Actually retyping music is quite a bit of work, and since Weill most
certainly is still copyrighted, the result can only be legally used by
somebody already having purchased the original score from which the
transcription has been made.

So since the benefits would be to you alone, you would have to expect to
pay a reasonable price for getting somebody to invest this kind of grunt
work.  It is unlikely that you could learn enough LilyPond to get this
job done yourself until next Saturday, but it could make sense to learn
how to use this tool in order to be able to work with it in future.

--
David Kastrup