Moving accidentals above or below notes

From: Dominique Faure
Subject: Moving accidentals above or below notes
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 20:58:39 +0100

Hi,

Using the following code, I'd like to move accidentals above or below notes.

----------8<- - - - - - - - - -
\version "2.16"

accidentalBelow = {
\once \override Score.Accidental #'extra-offset = #'(1.5 . -2.5)
}

accidentalAbove = {
\once \override Score.Accidental #'extra-offset = #'(1.5 . 2.5)
}

\relative c'' {
a16 b \accidentalAbove cis \accidentalAbove bes
g a \accidentalBelow b \accidentalBelow c
}

\relative c'' {
a b c b
g a b c
}

This almost works, but I was wondering how I could:

1) eliminate the extra horizontal space kept in front of notes where
the accidental was originally drawn.

2) have it working without the need to know in advance how the stems
are oriented.

Thanks for the help,
--
Dominique