Re:Sibelius user looking for the easiest way to learn LilyPond

From: Stefan Thomas
Subject: Re:Sibelius user looking for the easiest way to learn LilyPond
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 10:08:12 +0100

Dear John,
I've also used Sibelius for a long time and now I'm using Lilypond.
Off course, You're right, lilypond seems, at the beginning, more complicated than Sibelius and for some people it is hard, that You don't have a graphical interface.
I think, it depends on what You want.
I, for example, prefare writing my scores by hand (yes, in that case I'm old-school) and I make the fair copy with lilypond.
Some people prefare writing directly into the computer-software.
I think, this would be very hard to do with lilypond.
But for making fair copys, I think, lilypond is the best and it can be very efficient in typing notes.
If You use lilypond-tool You can even typing notes with a midi keyboard, or if You use RUMOR (running only on linux).
I recommand, that You install frescobaldi and as the first step I would type in some easy music (e.g. early Mozart minuets).
That's the way I've learned it.

>  A few years ago I was encouraged to try LilyPond
as an alternative to Sibelius because LilyPond
produced more beautiful scores. I was also told that it
would allow me to do things like specify that bars
25 through 32 are to be identical to bars 9 through 16
and avoid cutting and pasting from bars 9-16
into 25-32. I liked what I heard, but I was quite shocked
by LilyPond's interface. I would be interested in
hearing from any Sibelius users who have successfully
learned LilyPond. How can I get going in LilyPond
as quickly as possible?
> In case it's relevant, I should add that I used to program
in FORTRAN and a little bit of UNIX but never
in any other languages.

> Thanks in advance,
> John Link
>
> P.S. I sent the message above but I didn't receive it so
I'm sending it again. I have seen messages from
other users. http://www.cdbaby.com/all/johnlink