Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?

From: Eben Sorkin
Subject: Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 21:18:58 -0500

On Jan 9, 2013, at 4:05 PM, Urs Liska wrote:

> Am 09.01.2013 22:00, schrieb Werner LEMBERG:
>>
>> I'm a pianist, and I know Chopin very well and like him a lot, but I
>> have *never* heard or played a song written by him.
> I have two complete recordings of Chopin's songs, one of them published by
> the Deutsche Grammophon. So they are existent.
>> Regarding operas
>> of Moniuszko, let's have a look at the statistics from
>> http://www.operabase.com, for example the rank of the most performed
>> composers and the associated language of the last five years:
>>
>>   #1  Verdi        Italian          (3020 szenical runs)
>>   #2  Mozart       German/Italian   (2410)
>>   #8  Bizet        French           (654)
>>   #9  Handel       English/Italian  (598)
>>   #10 Tchaikovsky  Russian          (432)
>>   #15 Lehár        Hungarian/German (281)
>>   #18 Janáček      Czech            (209)
>>   #59 Moniuszko    Polish           (32)
>>   #87 Chapí        Spanish (?)      (21)
>>   #96 Saariaho     Finnish (?)      (18)
>>
>>> It seems as if you thought that polish people don't write their own
>>> music...
>> Sorry to say, but this is utter nonsense.  It's a matter of fact that
>> from an international point of view Poland is not relevant to opera,
>> as Austria is not relevant to musical, for example.  It doesn't
>> diminish the value of Polish music!
> Maybe true. But it doesn't change the fact that it should be possible to
> typeset scores in practically any language, if LilyPond wants to be 'for
> everyone’.

Covering European languages including all the eastern ones is a straightforward
task. Cyrillic is non-trivial unless you have be trained. I am glad I have the
training! :-)

To say all it sounds like you mean native american, African, Indic and Asian
languages. I suspect you don’t really mean this however. At lest not
immediately. Am I mistaken?

-e.