Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?

From: Eben Sorkin
Subject: Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 21:27:24 -0500

On Jan 9, 2013, at 5:03 PM, Janek Warchoł wrote:

> Hi Werner,
>
> first of all, let me assure everyone that the last thing i want is a
> heated argument.
> I'll try to be brief:
>
> On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 10:00 PM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hello Janek!
>>
>> [...]
>> I'm a pianist, and I know Chopin very well and like him a lot, but I
>> have *never* heard or played a song written by him.  Regarding operas
>> of Moniuszko, [...] It's a matter of fact that
>> from an international point of view Poland is not relevant to opera,
>> as Austria is not relevant to musical, for example.  It doesn't
>> diminish the value of Polish music!
>
> I formulated myself badly.  I didn't want to say that polish music is
> important in any particular area; let's drop these Moniuszko and
> Chopin examples.
> What i meant is: i would feel sorry if i couldn't use LilyPond's new,
> unique, custom-designed professional font to engrave polish national
> anthem or any other polish song because someone decided that polish
> language is not important enough to be supported.
>
>>> Of course i'm sure that it wasn't your intention to offend me,
>>> Werner, but nevertheless i feel quite disregarded. :-/
>>
>> Please re-think your feelings.
>
> It's hard to re-think feelings...

I know what you mean.

Polish is like Czech a bit tricky because it has shapes that needs special
treatment and thought. The most obvious are the slashes and ogoneks (Ł ł ą Ą
etc. ). The use of w and other diagonals is different and requires extra care
as well.

Including Polish should not be a problem. It should just be an explicit part of
the brief if you do commission a font.