Re: Guide to Writing Orchestral Scores with Lilypond?????

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Guide to Writing Orchestral Scores with Lilypond?????
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 22:19:45 +0100

Am 10.01.2013 21:15, schrieb Joseph Rushton Wakeling:
On 01/10/2013 12:09 AM, Urs Liska wrote:
It was already discussed on this list: It was a silly idea to use copyrighted material at all for this tutorial. It was just something I was working on at
that time, and I didn't really think about it ...

To be honest, I disagree. This is something that a standalone project can reasonably do which the main project can't, and it's useful, because it shows how to solve real, complicated notational problems in Lilypond. Contemporary music, which is almost all in copyright, generally presents the most complex notational problems to solve, and made-up examples don't cut it because there's no professionally-engraved example to compare them to.
I'm not really sure what to think of the issue.
Personally I don't have any problem with using the example as I did. The Schoenberg school happens to be one of the things I'm most engaged with in the last years, so it's quite natural that it 'occurs' that I use something from that source. But there had been quite some discussion here whethere lilypond.org could link to such a tutorial or not, and I tend to agree that an Open Source project should have Open Documentation.

Personally I think that I small library of _real_ contemporary musical examples, compared to the published score, would be an extremely useful resource for Lilypond. It shouldn't be difficult to secure publishers' permission for short extracts.

But I just reviewed my communication with UE and noticed that I (and them) only talked about the 'measures' of the music, not about which rendering of them (i.e. a scan of the UE edition or my new typesetting). They allowed me 'to show
these music examples on my homepage' - any other use wasn't allowed.
Which I think means that I can also put the original edition into it.

In any case, your use of these few measures probably comes under "fair use" exemptions for educational/teaching purposes, etc.
That's what I have come to think too in the meantime. So i think I'll include the example in our collection of tutorials, because I can't see me rewriting the tutorial with another example (it would surely be very easy to find an equivalent example in the music of Alban Berg, who ran out of copyright several years ago)

But I probably won't touch it until I reformat it as a PDF version. There had been some valuable comments on this list right after the first 'release' of the
tutorial - which still haven't been incorporated :-(

I'd say, don't wait for revisions which will require some thought -- just add in the original image now. ;-)
Maybe you're right. Today I realized that I really only have to replace the image, without updating a single word ... It's just a matter of deciding to take the time to acquire the image, either by extracting it from the IMSLP score or by getting my own score home and make a scan ...

Best
Urs