Re: Guide to Writing Orchestral Scores with Lilypond?????

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: Guide to Writing Orchestral Scores with Lilypond?????
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 15:10:25 +0100

On 01/13/2013 12:09 AM, Antonio Gervasoni wrote:
However, I'm not a lawyer so I'm sure if this would work.

Well, there are surely organizations out there (Creative Commons, Software Freedom Conservancy, ...) who can advise.

That said, as long as you secure the copyright holders' permission for use of the musical extracts, and you are explicit that the free license does not apply to those extracts, I don't see what grounds there would be for complaint.

I apologize for making an off-thread comment  but, after reading so many
posts about copyrights, I felt the need to say something that would be
useful to generate some awareness about the problem that has been created
around copyrights by greedy companies and corporations. I don't want this
thread to become a discussion about copyrights. I hope it doesn't! I won't
say another word about it here, I promise!

You're preaching to the converted here, I fear ... :-)

Now, about the tutorial for creating orchestral scores with Lilypond, I just
want to tell everyone that I have started working on it. I still have to
finish the music for the film first, then I have to finish the score
(Icarus) and then I also have to prepare my classes for the next semester (I
teach at a local university). So I'd say it's gonna take me at least a
couple of months to finish the document (possibly three!). I'm writing it in
LaTeX, as Urs suggested, and will send it to him so that it can be included
in his project.

Will you be publicly sharing your drafts? I'm sure people would be happy to give feedback and contributions on the way.