Lilypond-book, Xelatex, and full scores

From: David Bellows
Subject: Lilypond-book, Xelatex, and full scores
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 12:30:06 -0500

Hello all,

I have several projects I'm working on where I have a substantial
amount of text that I want to typeset with Xelatex and intersperse
with full scores (several pages each) generated by Lilypond.

I have both Xelatex and Lilypond set to use the "letter" page size.

By default the scores get cut off on the side along with other spacing
issues.  This is at least partly due to the fact that Xelatex/Latex
uses different  margins than Lilypond.  So I used the geometry package
in Xelatex and am able to get the scores to appear in full but there
are still all sorts of problems with spacing and some graphic issues
(e.g., space between staves is smaller, graphic stuff is not rendering
like it does natively, etc.).

I'm guessing that the page headers in Xelatex might be part of the
problem here as well.

But before trying to go through and redefine all the offending
headers/footers I was wondering if anyone else had already figured all
this stuff out.  Is there an easy way to go about getting these full
scores to appear as they do when compiled by themselves? Maybe the
original Lilypond files need to be altered like using a different page
size? Is there a better workflow approach?

I experimented a little with Scribus but as best as I can tell I have
to split up all my pdfs into separate pages but even then the final
output is fuzzy in Scribus.  But maybe I'm missing something there (I
only just started using Scribus).

Thanks.